If your car is being drive or just park on the public road, you should have special car insurance and road tax. If you are catch driving without these. Your car is at a huge risk of being impound by the police or other authorities. You will have to provide proof of insurance as well as several other documents to release your car. If your vehicle has been impounded by the police for no insurance or no tax, you will need specialist impounded car insurance to release your impounded car from the police pound. Not all insurance providers will provide you coverage for impounded vehicles but some specialist insurance brokers are able to provide insurance cover enough to cover your impounded car.
Why should you use impounded car insurance?Unfortunately, many standard car insurers will not provide cover for impounded cars. If your vehicle is impounded, you should add special coverage to your current policy or search specialist impounded car insurance. Some insurers might also offer cover with proof of insurance documents sent to you straight away so you can retrieve your impounded vehicle.
Why are vehicles impound?The police and other authorities have the right to impound your vehicle for several reasons, such as:
- The vehicle is not insure
- It has not paid the tax
- The vehicle is park illegally on a public road
- It is parked on private land without a SORN (statutory Off Road Notification)
- The vehicle is being use in a dangerous or careless manner
- Someone else is driving your vehicle without a valid driving license or valid insurance
How can you release your impounded car?If your vehicle has impounded by the police, it will be take to the police pound. To get it retrieve, you should follow these steps:
- The police will provide you with an impound notice when they take your vehicle at the roadside
- The driver must attend the police pound within 7 working days to provide the required documentation
- You will be require to show your driving license
- A valid MOT certificate is require
- Proof of current road tax
- The driver will also require proof of car insurance
- If the driver take out this insurance policy after the car was impound. Then you should also declare to the insurance provider any relevant pending convictions
- Once the authorities have checked your documents are well in place. They will provide you a release notice helping you to collect your impounded car from the police pound.
- It is highly likely that only the register owner of the vehicle will be allow to release it. Other than in exceptional situations
- The driver will have to pay a release fee plus daily storage charges
- If not collected within 14 days, the impound car might be crush, scrap, or sell at auction
Short-term and annual impounded car insuranceYou should have access to specialist impound insurance coverage if you have just had your vehicle impounded by the police, to enable you to get the vehicle release from the police pound. If your vehicle has towed away by the police, maybe following a stop for ‘no insurance’ or ‘no tax’ quick insurance cover is available for the car even after it has been impound. Before you can reclaim your car back, you will have to show insurance cover is in place for your impounded car for at least 30 days.
How much is impound car insurance?Not all policies are suitable for retrieving an impounded car and cheap impounded car insurance might not work always out to be the cheapest in the long run. Most insurance companies will not give the insurance coverage needed to release an impounded vehicle and the police are likely to check that the policy you have is suitable for the retrieval of your car.
If your vehicle is impounded, you need suitable impound vehicle insurance to recover the impounded vehicle. But not everyone knows how to …